Army Aircraft Icing
A2. Aircraft damage due to improper deicing techniques or inadequate
1. L. Fly in icing all the time, so very familiar with proper procedures.
6. L. Assessed as low due to reduced collective training OPTEMPO during
winter due to preparation for Longbow turn-in, as well as weather in this region
is quite moderate.
13. M. Soldiers were inexperienced with deicing techniques and often tried to
use brooms and other inappropriate tools to scrape ice.
An educational process coupled with an in-depth training program will
minimize these incidents.
31. L. None.
38. L. (In Korea) most non-rated crew members are knowledgeable enough
to not use the old hammer or screwdriver to remove ice. Sun, time, and deice
40. M. Have lost some seals and elastomeric bearings but once again very
low due to not being able to use a/c if iced over.